Software engineer with international experience; extended employment with companies ranging in size from start-up to multi-national. Broad knowledge of all phases of the development cycle, from analysis and requirements specification through implementation, verification and maintenance, acquired over 20+ years developing software for telecommunications, consumer, and business applications. Proficient at deriving and specifying verifiable software requirements. Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly and apply them to new and ongoing projects. Strong communication skills, used extensively during numerous multi-site development projects.
|s 10+yrs C/C++||s 4yrs Ant||s 3yrs XML||s 6yrs Oracle ADF|
|s 10+yrs Java/J2EE/SDK||s 3yrs Eclipse||s 6yrs jDeveloper||s 6yrs PL/SQL|
|s 5yrs Visual Studio||s 6yrs SQL||s 2yrs JDBC||s 2yrs Hibernate|
Alberta Blue Cross, Edmonton AB Jan 2010 – present
Alberta’s leader in supplementary health and dental benefits
Group Sales Team Lead / Senior Systems Analyst ASR Sales
- As development lead for Group Sales, led 10-15 person cross-functional team to on-schedule completion of critical deliverables involving high degrees of complexity
- Currently leading Group Sales application-support team, tasked with fixing issues found by business users, identifying problems with converted data, and supporting code promotions to production environment
- Work closely with business analysts and domain experts to identify and resolve gaps and inconsistencies between requirements and implementation
- Mentor junior developers, providing technical assistance and business domain knowledge to development team
- Created detailed design specifications based on use case documents, related modules, and discussions with business domain experts.
- Implemented various modules as defined in design specifications.
Oracle ADF, jDeveloper, java, PL/SQL, CVS, css
Intuit Canada, Edmonton AB Jan 2001 – August 2009
Leading developers of e-finance solutions, including personal finance, small business accounting and tax preparation software as well as Web-based services.
Over eight years developing web and desktop software in the realm of personal finance. Highlights:
Quicken Online (web) Senior Java Developer 2006 – 2009
- As one of the first members of the development team, designed and implemented the initial code deliverables.
- Designed and implemented database tables, data access objects, and POJOs.
- Developed back-end support for aggregation, subscription, error handling.
- Designed and implemented subscription support, enabling Intuit to monetize the site by charging users a monthly fee.
- Implemented extensive automated-testing, enabling us to quickly verify that significant additions or modifications to code did not break existing functionality
- Created and maintained Ant build-scripts for compiling, testing, and deploying code.
- Investigated and solved blocking problems as they appeared in development and QA environments.
- Assisted Call Centre in trouble-shooting customer problems, implementing solutions when required.
Quicken OLBB (client/server) Project Manager, Senior Developer (Java, C++) 2004 – 2006
- Investigated the technical feasibility of partnering with an existing financial aggregation service provider to support one-click download of account information from financial institution websites.
- Implemented a servlet-based solution that accepted OFX requests from Quicken software, scraped FI online banking websites, and provided OFX responses (transactional service; no data storage minimized the potential security issues inherent in dealing with users’ financial data).
- Updated Quicken desktop software to properly access new OFX servlet.
- Thrilled Quicken users, over 40,000 of whom were able to download their financial data with a single click, instead of manually going to each bank website to download their transactions.
- Provided business with ongoing analysis of usage patterns to enable them to make informed decisions about future upgrades
C++, C, MS Visual Studio, Java, IntelliJ IDEA, CVS, Oracle/SQL, OFX, XML, web scraping, Apache, Ant, jdbc
Quicken Activation (client/server) Designer, Technical Supervisor 2003 – 2004
- Collaborated with another developer to devise a powerful activation and licensing mechanism to be used by Quicken Canada to prevent piracy and enforce yearly upgrades, while also eliminating the need for different builds for each SKU by integrating licensing. Oversaw the groups that implemented this mechanism in the Quicken code base and for the server/database.
- Two US patent applications have been filed for this mechanism (2003): “Dynamic Software License Configuration”, “Distinguishing Legitimate Hardware Upgrades from Unauthorized Installations of Software on Additional Computers”.
C++, C, Oracle, SQL
Quicken Mortgage (web) Java Developer 2002 – 2003
- Working on a team of only three developers, created a full-featured mortgage website; devised appropriate mathematical formulas required to provide a wide variety of calculation tools, implemented and verified results.
Quicken Personal Finance (desktop) Senior Software Developer 2001 – 2006
- Created java applets to provide in-product tax and mortgage calculation tools.
- Designed and implemented new features, feature enhancements, and defect fixes in legacy code base.
- Proposed, designed, and developed Perl scripts that dramatically decreased the amount of effort required yearly to translate Quicken into a French version for Quebec.
- Worked on a small team to provide Financial Institution (FI) aggregation for the US Quicken product, providing users with one-click downloads of their financial data. Subsequently became the go-to expert for all questions relating to Quicken’s FI aggregation.
Newbridge Networks Corporation, Burnaby BC Oct 1995 – Dec 2000
World leader in the design and manufacture of digital networking equipment.
Lead software developer for a mid-scale VoFR (voice over frame relay) access device
C++, C, Pascal, 6800X assembly language, VxWorks (real time embedded operating system), Macintosh Programmers Workshop IDE
AT&T Network Systems International, the Netherlands May 1992 – Sept 1995
Designs and delivers the systems, services and software that drive next-generation communications networks.
Software engineer on multinational teams to release two major optical telecommunications projects, for Deutsche Bundespost Telekom and Nippon Telegraph & Telephone; Team-lead for small group of top developers responsible for identifying/solving integration issues during code promotions
C, CSDL (proprietary graphical development language), 6800X assembly language, proprietary RTOS
Web Development Contractor Sept 2009 – Present
- Designed and implemented – Katherine Johnson (author) website (katherinejohnson.ca)
- Designed and implemented – Cambellton Homes (builder) website (cambelltonhomes.com)
- Designed and implemented – Journey to Truth (mind-clearing) website (journeytotruth.ca)
- Designed and implemented – Enlightened Photography (enlightenedphotography.ca)
- Designed and implemented – Edmonton Psychology website (edmonton-psychology.com)
- Designed and implemented – Edmonton Sports Massage (edmontonsportsmassage.ca)
- Designed and implemented – Mother Earth’s Children’s Charter School (meccs.org)
- Designed and implemented – Battery King (batteryking.ca)
- Designed and implemented – Marta Mora Photography (martamoraphotography.ca)
- Designed and implemented – Shield Advanced First Aid Ltd oilfieldmedicservices.ca)
- University Certificate in Accounting – Athabasca University
- Post-graduate course in Object Oriented Analysis, Design, and Programming – Technical University of Groningen, the Netherlands
- B.Sc. Electrical Engineering, majoring in Communications, Optics, RF Electronics – University of Alberta, Edmonton AB